[mou] Bagley Farm Report

Larson Kelly northernflights at charter.net
Thu Jan 31 13:37:33 CST 2008

The Arctic grip continues in the Northland at the edge of the
Prairie. It has been a challenge to keep my 14 feeders filled with
some days this past week having nasty winds bringing dangerous 45
below wind-chills. That small birds survive these extended weather
events is truly amazing. I noticed an interesting change in feeding
behavior this week. With the colder temperatures and brisk wind the
finches have abandoned the hanging tube feeders, elevated platforms
and hanging mesh feeders. Almost all are feeding directly on the
ground trying to stay out of the wind.

This week-
Red-bellied Woodpecker! - one female on 1/25
Northern Shrike - seen on several days hunting the wood edges and
feeding stations
Pine Grosbeaks - up to 14 at once
Goldfinch - 70+
Redpoll - 60+
Bluejay - 5-11, numbers down slightly
Chickadee, RB & WB Nuthatch - lots & lots
H & D Woodpecker
A. Crow and Raven daily,  one Black-billed Magpie occasional-last
seen 1/27

Kelly Larson
Bagley/Bemidji Minnesota

Eschew Obfuscation!