[mou] Mute Swans, Winona County

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:56:39 CST 2008

Had a nice, birdy commute home from work Thursday (in the daylight, for once!).  The Mute Swans were slightly upriver from where Chris Benson reported them earlier in the month.  They were across Hwy 61 from the Black Horse Bar in a swath of open water adjacent to the RR tracks.  This is about 2 miles south of Winona.

I then decided to check the open water off Shives Road (off Mankato Ave.) in Winona, and at the end of the road there was still a female Redhead that I had seen on 1/1, several Gadwall and a Belted Kingfisher.  I then headed for home, and a Cooper's Hawk flew over at the intersection of Huff and Sarnia.

Last Monday there were a couple Common Goldeneye, and American Black Duck on the western half of Lake Winona.

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN