[mou] MOU RBA 31 January 2008

Anthony Hertzel axhertzel at sihope.com
Thu Jan 31 20:30:20 CST 2008

Common Redpoll
Evening Grosbeak
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota Statewide
Date: January 31, 2008
Sponsor: Minnesota Ornithologists' Union (MOU) http://moumn.org
Reports: (763) 780-8890
Compiler: Anthony Hertzel (axhertzel at sihope.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, January 31,
2008 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

The extreme cold that we have experienced this week has dampened the
activities of both birds and birders, but a few reports have trickled
in. As of this report, the weather is slowly warming up, and the weekend
promises to be more pleasant.

Rick Gjervold braved the cold to go birding in Wilkin County in the
Rothsay area on January 28. While there he observed about 50 GREATER
PRAIRIE-CHICKENS, RING-NECKED PHEASANTS, a BALD EAGLE, and some SNOW
BUNTINGS.

Amy Drake in Otter Tail County reported RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, DOWNY
WOODPECKER, HAIRY WOODPECKER, PILEATED WOODPECKER, 7 PINE GROSBEAKS, and
some COMMON REDPOLLS on January 29.

In Hubbard County, Matt Mecklenburg saw 12 TRUMPETER SWANS on the Fish
Hook River near Park Rapids on January 26.

Matt observed EVENING GROSBEAKS in Osage in Becker County along
Washington Street near the Straight Lake Condos. 10 RUFFED GROUSE were
also seen in Becker County near Osage.

Shelley Steva found 6 GRAY PARTRIDGE in Red Lake County along CR 5 two
miles north of Oklee on January 31.

On January 26, Zeann Linder and I saw more than 200 SNOW BUNTINGS in
Pennington County.

In Marshall County, we saw a NORTHERN SHRIKE and several small flocks of
SNOW BUNTINGS while driving through the county on January 26.

Kelly Larson reported from Clearwater County on January 31 where she
observed RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, NORTHERN SHRIKE, BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE,
14 PINE GROSBEAKS, and 60 COMMON REDPOLLS among the species seen near
Bagley.

Dave Carman reported 25 COMMON REDPOLLS in northwest Bemidji on January
25. Zeann Linder and I found a NORTHERN SHRIKE, GRAY JAY, COMMON RAVEN,
and COMMON REDPOLL on January 26 while on a drive north from Fourtown
along Dick's Parkway. For you city dwellers, that won't look much like a
parkway, but it is a way through a sort of park, the Beltrami Island
State Forest.

In Lake of the Woods County on January 26, we found a group of three
PINE GROSBEAKS gravelling along the forest road.

Thanks to Amy Drake, Dave Carman, Kelly Larson, Matt Mecklenburg, Rick
Gjervold, and Shelley Steva for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru at wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, February 7,
2008

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN