[mou] RFI, perhaps July is the time to diversify

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Tue Jul 1 12:53:43 CDT 2008

Thinking about diversifying this hobby (avocation?  passion?), adding
butterflies & dragonflies.

Three motivations:

1) They're beautiful, and they fly.  I'm there already.

2) It's July, and I know most of the two county bird residents by first
name:) (and post-breeding vagrants are still a bit scarce)

3) Would be nice to be able to answer non-birding questions on field trips
("no, sorry, I only know about birds" is a bit lame)

So, a few questions:

1) Any (reasonably priced) field guides you'd recommend?

2) Are there any Minnesota checklists available, on-line or otherwise?

3) Other thoughts you would like to add from experience?

(Bit quiet at Milaca Hiking Trails and Pioneer today - nice views of a Wood
Thrush at latter.)

Good birding (and butterflying) to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN