[mou] Northern Mockingbird, Aitkin County

Ken & Pam Perry pkperry at brainerd.net
Thu Jul 3 20:53:11 CDT 2008

This morning my husband Ken and I found a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD in SW Aitkin
County.  The location was 2 miles north of the Aitkin County line on Hwy.
169 north of Garrison.  It was on Conifer St. (aka Aitkin County 37) which
is a frontage road for Hwy. 169, on the east side, just south of the
junction of Conifer St. and 442nd Place.  This is between Myr Mar Villas (on
the north) and the public access to Mille Lacs Lake (on the south).  The
mockingbird was first seen along the road (Conifer St.) on the ground and
then it flew into the mass of ripening elderberries that were thick right
along the eastern side of the road.

We also found a colony of Bank Swallows further north by Ripple Lake.  If
anyone is interested in seeing these birds, I can send you directions to the
site.

In Crow Wing County, Common Terns and Bonaparte's Gulls were easily observed
at Garrison at the lookout area by the big walleye (at the intersection of
Hwy. 18 and 169).

--Pam Perry, Brainerd