[mou] St. Croix State Park - YEWA singing CSWA song

rdunlap at gustavus.edu rdunlap at gustavus.edu
Fri Jul 4 12:57:12 CDT 2008

I'll take a shot at this dilemma...

First I must say that I have been fooled many times by both species.
Second, one must recognize that both species have quite the repertoire
of songs. One of the best ways to help distinguish between the two for
me has thus been to recognize patterns in the songs of both species.

The majority of Chestnut-sideds that I hear sing the usual
"please-to-please-to-MEET-ya" with the high note on the second-to-last
syllable. Sometimes the song is longer or shorter than this, but at
some point I usually hear the "Meet-ya" at the end of the song. On
several occasions I have heard only the "please-to-please-to" without
the ending, and that's what often makes me confuse it with Yellow
Warbler.

Yellow Warblers tend to have the high notes at the beginning of the
song, such as "SWEET-SWEET-I'm-so-sweet." The final note can either be
up-slurred or down-slurred; I've heard both about equally, and thus I
have never found that to be helpful in distinguishing between the two.

The important thing to remember (at least this usually works for me)
is where the high note occurs in the song. For Chestnut-sided, it is
on the second-to-last syllable; for Yellow, it is on the first one or
two syllables.

Hope this helps...

Bob Dunlap, back in Carver County for the summer