[mou] Store-bought nectar vs. sugar and water

Rick fholbrook at cableone.net
Sat Jul 5 17:10:33 CDT 2008

Todd Merefield wrote:
> Does anyone have an opinion whether hummingbirds prefer the store
> bought red nectar or just plain old 4 parts water to 1 part sugar?
>
> I am not having any luck attracting them to my feeders.  I have seen a
> few females in the yard feeding on my flowers, but they don't even go
> up to the feeders, which have been out since May.  I was using water
> and sugar.  My feeders are the saucer shaped ones with perches.   I
> recently switched to a mix I bought from Home Depot.  It's been in
> there for about a week and still nothing.
>
> Last year I put my first hummingbird feeder up in late July (a
> different style feeder than those that I have now ... it broke).  I
> used the red store-bought nectar.  There were regular visits daily
> from Ruby-Throats from mid August until mid September.
>
> Anybody else having problems this year?

I believe that it is generally agreed by all Hummingbird experts that 4
water to 1 sugar it better and less expensive than the colored store
bought nectar.  The birds do not drink red nectar in the wilds so why in
a feeder?  I have not seen any hummers since May but, they are around.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty