[mou] Carver County

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 5 19:04:43 CDT 2008

I went to Carver Park this morning to see if the Henslow's Sparrow was still around.  He was not.   In his place were a greater number(around 15) of Bobolinks, male and female.    One was doing a distraction display, so it is probably nesting nearby.   Also in the same general area were a couple Sedge Wrens.  I have never seen Sedge Wrens in that area of the park in the past.     I found 3 juvenile Yellow Warblers still with some down feathers to lose.   They were each in different areas of the park each with a pair of adults nearby.  They were able to fly short distances, but I assume they could fly longer if needed.    There was also a juvenile Common Yellowthroat that hadn't quite learned the art of flight.    The strangest find was that of several Veery.   Finding 1 Veery is not strange at all, but I saw/heard 1 and heard an addtional 3-5 all in the Tamarack Bog.   I have never heard or seen more than 1 Veery in an area like that.   I saw 1 Wood Thrush, but there were none singing.   One bird that I have not seen much of at Carver Park this year is the Eastern Meadowlark.   I have only seen or heard 1 the past few times I have visited.    Earlier in the spring, I saw 2 but never more than that. The Osprey are having another successfull year at Carver Park.  I watched as the adult brought the chicks some freshly caught fish.   Other hawks seen were Cooper's and Red-shouldered(not in the park).  I checked some shorebird habitat in Carver County but found only Killdeer(with young) and Spotted Sandpiper.  John