[mou] [mnbird] sick bat

Pamela Freeman gleskarider at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 10:16:58 CDT 2008

the wildlife rehab people in roseville might be able to help you. Although
rabies does occur in bats, it isn't really that common.
651.486.WILD (9453)

  *Emergency Services:*
Our core program is to provide emergency and long-term medical care to all
species of wild animals.  The number of wild animals admitted to WRC has
increased from year to year.  In 2004, we hit our record number of animal
admits; totaling 8,295 for the year, most of whom are injured due to human
conflicts and interactions.

Once the animal is admitted, a team of professional staff focus on
stabilizing the animal's condition and beginning the process of restoring
its health. Trained volunteers continue the wild animal patients recovery by
providing food, water and clean caging several times each day.  Animals are
rehabilitated in flight rooms or outdoor cages where they are conditioned
and prepared for their return to the wild. We take special care to
simulate each animal's natural environment and diet. We minimize human
contact, a crucial rehabilitation aspect that is essential to the animal's
ability to survive in the wild.

 Animals admitted to the WRC include:
*Songbirds* such as: cardinals, finches, woodpeckers, nighthawks, orioles,
swallows, shrikes, bluebirds, blue jays and killdeer.
*Waterfowl* such as: kingfishers, snow geese, wood ducks, swans, pelicans,
herons and loons.
*Mammals* including: fox, opossums, deer, coyote, bears, beavers, mink,
bats, flying squirrels and rabbits.
*Reptiles* like snakes and turtles.

*Avian, Waterfowl, and Mammal Nurseries*
Our three nurseries "raise" more than 4,000 baby animals each year. Each
nursery provides medical treatment and the nearly round-the-clock feeding
necessary to help orphaned infant and juvenile wildlife mature and return to
their natural habitats. When possible, orphans are housed with adult foster
parent animals to lower stress and improve skill development.

*Public Information, Assistance and Training*
We work to educate the public about wildlife and encourage them to consider
how their actions affect wild animals. Through our volunteers and
literature, we strive to teach people how they can prevent unnecessary harm
to wild animals and their habitat. In addition, the WRC provides training
for veterinarians, wildlife rehabilitators and public officials. This
includes hands-on wildlife experience, such as, basic handling, nutrition,
husbandry, cage requirements and physical therapy. More advanced training
extends to medical care.
[image: case photo]

 *For more information on these or other questions,
please call the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota at 651.486.WILD
(9453)*

--
Pamela Freeman

Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to
accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.