[mou] Shorebirds in Nicollet and Sibley County

Williams, Bob BXWilliams at CBBURNET.COM
Wed Jul 9 19:21:29 CDT 2008

I went to 2 places today that were good for shorebirds this spring and I was not disappointed.  At the new WMA just north of the town of Nicollet in Nicollet County and at the Gaylord Sewage Ponds just south of Gaylord in Sibley County there were well over 50 birds each including Short-billed Dowitchers(Nicollet only) and Stilt Sandpipers(both).  The WMA is about 1.5 miles north of Hwy 99 on Hwy 111 on the east side of the road.  Look for a gravel road flanked by yellow WMA signs just north of a farm house on the east side of the road.  You can drive back to a parking area and walk a few hundred yards to the wetlands.  This should continue to be a great shorebird spot.  The Gaylord Sewage ponds are on the south side of Co. Rd. 67 just a short distance east of Hwy 22 south of town.  Between the two I had 11 species of shorebird.
At the Elysian Sewage Ponds I had 4 Caspian Terns and along 490th St. just north of Sakatah Lake in the far SW corner of Rice County I came upon a flock of about 400 Bank Swallows.
Bob Williams, Bloomington