[mou] L. Shrike, possible W. Meadowlark, Dakota Co.

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Thu Jul 10 21:00:20 CDT 2008

After finishing an IBA survey at Lower Spring Lake Park with Jen
Vieth, I joined  Laura Coble and Diana Doyle in searching for a
Loggerhead Shrike that Jen had seen earlier. We found it at the
location she had described: south of highway 55, along Co. 85, on
telephone wires lining a driveway near the sign for a welding
business. The bird made several passes at prey on the ground,
returning to the wire, then to a couple of small trees, and finally
back to the wire. It did some preening in between feedings. (Thanks,
Jen!)

Along the same road, but further north, was a meadowlark on the wire.
It did not sing an entire song, but repeated its short contact
call.After listening to audio for both E. and W. meadowlark, we
concluded it was a Western. Has anyone else seen a W. Meadowlark in
this vicinity recently?

Linda Whyte