[mou] Sherburne/Mille Lacs 100

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Fri Jul 11 09:30:13 CDT 2008

Birded Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties yesterday (eight hours, with four
hour weather break), had 104 species.  It's easy to forget what a great
nesting area central/northern MN actually is.  No rarities, but a brief
report follows:

* Six waterfowl, somehow missed Trumpeters & Ring-necked Ducks

* Four raptors, including Broad-winged - missed Red-shouldered

* Six shorebirds, including Wilson's Phalarope at CR2 ponds

* Six gulls & terns, including a Forster's (nice white chest) at Garrison -
did not refind the Franklins that have been there over the last month

* Six woodpeckers, missed Red-headed

* Five flycatchers, missed Alder & Willow

* Five swallows, missed Northern Rough-winged

* Nine warblers, missed Blue-winged, Blackburnian, Yellow-rumped - latter
two at Kathio, heavens opened up just before their nesting area

* Nine sparrows, including Lark - missed Savannah

* Seven blackbirds, including a Western Meadowlark in Mille Lacs County

Consistent day, nothing spectacular.  Happy to share details if desired.  A
few bugs were present.  I would speculate that an intense (14-16 hour) run
from Sherburne Refuge to Aitkin CR 18 would net 130-135 species
(tempting....).

Also had three new butterfly species, not surprising since I just started
Tuesday:)

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher