[mou] Common Ravens in southern Chisago County

rdunlap at gustavus.edu rdunlap at gustavus.edu
Mon Jul 14 15:00:20 CDT 2008

Yesterday, July 13, the Hockema brothers (John and Chris) and I found
6 Common Ravens in extreme southern Chisago County. We found the birds
in a dirt pasture on the east side of Hwy. 95 just 3 miles north of
the Washington County border. The birds were flying around,
vocalizing, and feeding together, which leads us to believe that this
is a family group and that breeding took place somewhere in the
vicinity.

We also found 3 more ravens flying on the north side of Colby Lake,
also along Hwy. 95 just north of Taylor's Falls.

Both groups of birds, and especially the first group of 6, seem
unusually far south for the breeding season. I wonder if others have
been seeing Chisago ravens, or if perhaps there are ravens to be found
in northern Washington County.

Bob Dunlap, Carver County