[mou] Mute Swan, Dakota Co.

James Mattsson mattjim at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 15 11:39:08 CDT 2008

9:00am
Schaar's Bluff, Spring Lake RP, Hastings

An adult Mute Swan was near a flock of White Pelicans 0.75 miles [per Google Earth ruler] north of the picnic area. First seen swimming, it climbed onto a floating log (of which there are many in this area) where I took several digiscoped images. It was not banded or otherwise marked that I could see. Even at this distance, its black facial knob, black line thru eye,  and orange bill were clearly discernible, as was its very long tail.

About 150 White Pelicans, hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls and a few Caspian Terns also present.

James Mattsson
mattjim at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.