[mou] osprey fishing at Lock #1, Mississippi

Diana Doyle diana at managingthewaterway.com
Tue Jul 15 13:00:05 CDT 2008

More urban raptor news:

Last evening at 7:20 I saw an osprey fly up the Mississippi River to
just below Lock & Dam #1 on the Mississippi. It promptly performed
its amazing fishing technique, lifting out of the water with a 16"+
fish in its talons. It then immediately flew back down river,
carrying the fish in perfect aerodynamic alignment.

I've heard of osprey nests around the bend in Lilydale, and further
down the Minnesota River by the power plant. It seems this osprey has
learned that fishing below the locks is literally "fish in a barrel."

The viewing is great and maybe a great opportunity for others to see
an osprey retrieve a fish. For those who've read David Gessner's
great book, Return of the Osprey, the author had to be very
persistent to see a successful osprey catch!

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis