[mou] Southern Minnesota - Birding Report - 7/14/2008 + Update on Pelicans at Tiger Lake

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Tue Jul 15 20:40:24 CDT 2008

June 14, 2008

Just getting a chance to post the birds that Kathryn and I observed on
Monday, in SW Minnesota.
7:00 am - 3:00 pm

Carver County
American White Pelican - Tiger Lake
There was a large congregation of American White Pelicans on Tiger Lake on
Monday.  Including many full white adult and molting adult American White
Pelicans.  There were also several birds that I thought may have been
immature birds.  I took some nice pictures of those birds and came to the
conclusion that they were pictures of adult American White Pelicans.  The
key field mark I used for what I believe to be the correct id was there bill
color, which was Yellow.  What led me to think these birds were probably
immature birds was the amount of Black on there heads and back.  I did not
recall seeing adults with completely Black heads and thick black neck lines.
I did get a chance to check my pictures this afternoon and a number of
different reference books.  None of them show an adult American White
Pelican with the amount of black these birds had, they all show the immature
with a Gray bill.  The Yellow bills seem to be consistent with adult birds.
I am also familiar with the small number of locations in Minnesota that
American White Pelicans nest and had hoped to add another.  But no such
luck.

Lark Sparrow - Rapid's Lake Unit, Minnesota Valley NWR - Five birds were
observed near the new visitor center.
Grasshopper Sparrow - Rapid's Lake Unit, Minnesota Valley NWR - Several
birds were observed along the entrance road to the new visitor center.

McLeod County
Orchard Oriole - 100th St, 3/4 of a mile East of CR 1.

Sibley County - Gaylord Sewage Ponds - Spotted Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs,
Least and Pectoral Sandpipers were observed at the SW pond.

Nicollet County - WMA - About one mile North of the town of Nicollet and
just East of Highway 111.  This is the location previously posted by Bob
Williams and as noted in his post has the potential to be good for some time
to come.
Solitary Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated (1), Least, Baird's(1)
and Pectoral Sandpipers were observed at this WMA.  There were also
Red-necked Grebes on the lake there and Grasshopper Sparrows and Bobolink's
in the a joining field.

Craig Mandel
EgretCMan at msn.com
Minnetonka, Hennepin County, MN