[mou] White-eyed Vireo, Scott Co.

Bruce Fall bafall at umn.edu
Sun Jul 20 16:33:17 CDT 2008

On Sat. 19 July (about 9:30 a.m.) I heard a singing male White-eyed
Vireo at Murphy-Hanrehan Park, Scott Co., along the pet trail S of
marker #29. It sang about a dozen songs from 50 m W of the trail, 200
m S of marker #29, but I was unable to see him. Today (20 July) at
07:15 I relocated him at several places well S of the original
location. I eventually saw him briefly, and was able to record a
series of songs (which I have uploaded to the MOU web site, RQD
documentation). This morning I heard 4 periods of song, each with
5-20 songs, from 07:15 to 08:15 a.m. (I arrived at 05:40 and left at
08:30). He sang sporadically and moved about quite a bit. From the
horse trail parking lot (off Sunset Lake Rd. SE of Murphy Lake), take
the pet trail S of the lot (starting at marker #29). Over the two
mornings I heard the WEVI along a 400-m stretch of trail that began
200 m S of #29 and W of the trail (there is a partial clearing there,
with tall cottonwoods and several medium dead elms W of the trail),
and from there 400 m farther S. The farthest S I recorded him was
about 50 m N of the northern-most  broad vista of "Southwest
Marsh" (the large lilypad-covered marsh that extends off to the SW of
the trail), off to the E of the trail about 50 m. From that farthest
S point he flew back N and I relocated him at 08:15 midway between
the northern and southern most points. There are also at least 3 (and
possibly 4) Alder Flycatcher territories along this trail and some of
my WEVI recordings include ALFL in the background.

Bruce A. Fall
Minneapolis