[mou] (Fwd) White-winged Crossbills

Jim Lind jslind at frontiernet.net
Sun Jul 20 20:20:11 CDT 2008

From:           	david at mpadesign.com
To:             	jslind at frontiernet.net, dkuder at citlink.net
Date sent:      	Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:48:32 +0000
Subject:        	White-winged Crossbills

Jim and Dee,

I saw your report on the Duluth area and thought I could add more
from my visit the past 3 days.  I also saw the report by Dee on the
White-winged Crossbills. Please post this report to the list serve if
you can.  I'm visiting from Northern California.

7/16 Wednesday I saw 6 White-winged Crossbills in the pines on the
west side of Cty 211, about 1/2 mile north of Cty 133 (Meadowlands
Road).  I photographed 2 of them. (St. Louis County)

7/17 Thursday I saw one White-winged Crossbill feeding a chick along
Cty Rd. 2 north of the Cty 15 connection at a driveway marked 8488.
(Lake County)

7/17 Thursday I saw over 100 White-winged Crossbills feeding on the
purple flowers at the top of a row of what looked like Tamarack trees
along the north side of Stony River Rd. approx. 1 mile northeast of
Cty Rd. 11 around 6pm. I took many photos. (Lake County)

I understand the White-winged Crossbills are not regular in the
summer, and was very impressed to find any, let alone over 108 birds
in two days.

Good Birding!

David W. Nelson
San Rafael, CA