[mou] What sounds like a White-eyed Vireo and lives in the North?

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:42:02 CDT 2008

About 2 weeks ago, I was hiking through the woods (mature mixed hillside bordering mature black ash near a lake) a few miles from Scenic State Park in Itasca County.  I heard a bird sing several times over the course of a minute or two as I approached.  I have only heard recordings of White-eyed Vireo, but this sounded very similar.  It was definitely not the typical song of any of the usual vireos in the area.  It was a click or chip, followed by a warble-like song, followed by another click or chip.  When I approached closely, it stopped singing and several chickadees came into the area, making it difficult for me to try and find it in the trees.  It did not sound like anything I am used to hearing in the woods up here.  I'd go back, but it's kind of a pain to get to the area (no trail).  Any ideas?  A White-eyed Vireo would be really unusual up here.
Shawn Conradhttp://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/