[mou] Hits & Misses

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Thu Jul 24 09:36:35 CDT 2008

As fall migration begins, started thinking through personal (Minnesota) hits
& misses for 2008.  The balance of unusual hits & common misses this year is
interesting.

Hits

* Harlequin Duck
* Barrow's Goldeneye
* Sharp-tailed Grouse
* Common Moorhen
* American Avocet
* Red Knot
* Great Gray Owl
* Northern Hawk Owl
* Say's Phoebe
* Black-billed Magpie
* Boreal Chickadee
* Varied Thrush
* Black-throated Blue Warbler

Misses

* Greater White-fronted, Snow, Ross' and Cackling Goose (bizarre!)
* All scoters (but late fall & winter are my best shots)
* Red-throated & Pacific Loons (often see in fall on Mille Lacs Lake)
* Yellow Rail (simply haven't gotten up to Aitkin County early enough in the
morning)
* American Woodcock (despite probable nesting across the street from my
home; son Nathan had on numerous occasions)
* Thayer's & Iceland Gulls
* Eastern Screech Owl
* Northern Saw-wet Owl
* American Three-toed Woodpecker (despite helping with the Sax-Zim field
trips)
* Acadian Flycatcher
* Western Kingbird (despite past/probable nesting in Sherburne County)
* American Pipit
* Cerulean Warbler (despite sightings in Sherburne Refuge)
* Henslow's Sparrow
* Dickcissel (nested in yard last 2-3 years)
* Red & White-winged Crossbills (haven't chased this summer, slow this
winter)

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN