[mou] White-winged Crossbill, Boreal Chickadee - Scenic State Park

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:20:17 CDT 2008

I spent the better part of yesterday hiking (OK, bushwhacking...this wasn't the scenic part of Scenic) on the east side of Coon & Sandwick Lakes in Scenic State Park.  Most notably, lots of passerines have gone silent compared to a few weeks ago.  I only heard 5 warblers the entire day and they didn't include Yellow, Black-throated Green, Northern Parula, Black-and-white, or American Redstart!  No pewees, Least Flycatchers, or Veery.  In fact, a full day on the east side (largely inacessible except to the very determined) of Scenic only turned up 33 species, but a few good ones:

- A male White-winged Crossbill greeted me by singing from the top of a spruce on the west side of Hwy 7, just as you reach the park's southern boundary

- I found a Boreal Chickadee, a Gray Jay, and a Blue-headed Vireo in one of the bogs on the east side of the lake (I don't have better directions)

- There were 2 families of Pileated Woodpeckers present...one to the south, one to the north

- A few Pine Warblers were still singing from the old growth pines on the east shore of the lakeShawn Conradhttp://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/