[mou] White-eyed VIreo, Scott Cty., present 7/28

hagsela at aol.com hagsela at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 12:47:17 CDT 2008

The WEVI was observed by several people today in the location previously reported.  When I arrived at 10:00, several observers reported seeing and hearing it at about 9:45.  hey didn't think he'd gone far.  One of the observers moved to the south end of the clearing where he heard the bird.  He was deep in a larger tree just to the east of the trail.  He responded to a couple of phrases I played on my iPod by singing one phrase, flying to the west side of the path, then scolding us from dense bushes.  He flew to a small dead tree, giving everyone great looks.  He worked his way back to the east side, right by the trail, then disappeared and fell silent.

I agree with Alyssa that tapes should be used sparingly with this bird.  From what folks have written and from people I talked to during my two trips to look for the bird, he seems most active from 9:00 to 10:30.

The Alder Flycatcher in the same area was vocalizing frequently this morning.

Linda Sparling