[mou] WEVI tape discussion

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 07:51:06 CDT 2008

It seems to me that this discussion took place last year about the Yellow-breasted Chat that was at Black Dog Lake, and at the time, I wondered what was the point of everyone getting all upset, because it's just going to happen again.

The fact is, it's "human nature" for people to act the way that they do.  People are going to want to see a bird that is "rare" when it's posted, and some of them are going to take any means necessary to see it, whether it be to drive their vehicle where they shouldn't (which happened in Maryland recently) or to play tapes, or to throw a rock at a rail and kill it.

I wish we could put an end to this, "we can end this behavior if enough of us post ethics "rules"", because it just isn't going to stop someone from seeing a bird once it has been posted.  As I told a person in Maryland last year that was complaining about birders turning the location of a pair of Long-eared Owls into a circus, "if the original poster didn't want it to come to this, he shouldn't have posted the bird's location".  Maybe we should do that instead of citing "birding ethics" and then having everyone and his brother posting asking us to "go by the rules"?  In my almost 10 years as a birder, I've seen that asking others to "go by the rules" doesn't work.  It doesn't work in other parts of life, so why do we think it will work here?

Richard

 Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN
rwoodphd at yahoo.com