[mou] Rare Bird Disturbance - White-eyed Vireo in MN, Loggerhead Shrike in WI

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Tue Jul 29 09:26:49 CDT 2008

Seems that we have a clash of goals here.

We want to see the rare birds.  We want to protect the rare birds.  Both are
goods; both can be pursued in poor ways.

Here's a few potential suggestions towards the solution side of this
problem - mostly to pursue constructive discussion:

1) The person who originally sees the bird becomes the "project manager".
She or he has the responsibility to learn the bird's status, then react
accordingly.  "Accordingly" could be a detailed post if there are no
problems - a general post that requires backchannel contact to learn more
details - or acting as the "guide" for viewing the bird with reasonable time
constraints - or not posting at all - or....

2) Birds in remoter locations might be more open to posting than urban
birds, which might receive more birding pressure.  For example, don't think
the Lewis' Woodpecker in northern Wisconsin has received much pressure at
all.

3) Moderators or acknowledged birding "authorities" could develop and
distribute short lists and rules about posting rare birds.  I'm not talking
about something elaborate, rather, at most 8 1/2" by 11" sheet that can be
quickly perused.

4) Birds that are published cannot be taped - perhaps a bit severe but would
end the conflict.

Thoughts?

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN