[mou] birding about the area

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 29 09:57:00 CDT 2008

A quick trip out to Hutchinson on Monday sent me by way of New Germany on
local roads with HWY 7 closed.  I observed good shorebird habitat in a small
pond with several species (Killdeer, Pectoral, Least, Semi-Palmated SP, L.
Yellowlegs, perhaps more) on CR33 just south of town and at CR30 and Yancy,
a better known spot.  The shallow lake to the south of that area is too well
cloaked in willow thickets to be observed.  I also stopped at Purgatory
Creek in Eden Prairie, which has limited habitat, but is interesting.
Shorebirds included Least & Solitary.  More interesting was the two
Red-necked grebes in cryptic molting plummage.

sweston2 at comcast.net