[mou] Birding Code of Ethics (or ethics any kind...)

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 11:29:39 CDT 2008

But by publishing the location of a "rare bird", you are sort of defeating the publication of the "birder's ethics".

The fact of "whether we ought to be paying attention to them (birding ethics) or not" is something you are NEVER going to get EVERYONE to adhere to.

I've been a birder for almost 10 years and have been on several state's lists, and it is getting to the point that it's funny when this happens.  You'll have a bunch that act like fools chasing a bird, and one or two will cite the "Birder's ethics", as if that will make the tape players or pishers stop doing what they do.

If I can't get my 10 year old grandddaughter to clean up after the dog, how are you going to stop a grown adult from disturbing a White-eyed Vireo?  You aren't, and the sooner everyone realizes that, the better off we will all be.

There are several camps in birding, the birder/hunters, the birders against hunting, the birders that go by the "rules" and the ones that don't, just to name a few camps.  I have learned that it's best to not bring up some of these issues, as one is just asking for trouble.   This, I feel, is one of those issues.

I URGE the moderators to cut in and end this silly discussion.

Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN
rwoodphd at yahoo.com