[mou] Red-tailed Hawk Attack

Jason Caddy j.caddy at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:17:10 CDT 2008

Fellow Birders,

I recently posted about a Red-tailed Hawk attacking a duckling that had flown 3 feet off the water. I was just informed that ducklings cannot fly until they are full grown. As careful as I am when identifying birds I guess I should be more careful with their behavioral accounts. Here is exactly what I remember:
I was observing from the blind as a Red-tailed Hawk came diving through the sky over the lake (pond?) at Purgatory Creek. It caused most of the gulls and terns on the island to fly in alarm. Upon the actual strike that occured on the water the details become somewhat fuzzy as I was a good distance away and the strike occurred in the blink of an eye. After the Hawk hit its target I could see wings spreading out from its talons in a last attemp to escape. I think that a duckling was snatched off the water. However, it is possible that the target was on the shore just beyond the ducks in which case it could have been one of the Lesser Yellowlegs and maybe did actually fly up at the last second. I do know that the ducks were distraught after the attack and freaked out when 2 more Yellowlegs came in for a landing. Whatever the case, it was still very exciting. I will just tell the facts next time and not expand on something I wasn't 100% sure about.
Good Birding,

Jason Caddy
S. Minneapolis
j.caddy at hotmail.com