[mou] Western Kingbirds, etc, Ramsey, Anoka County

Erika Sitz esitz at goldengate.net
Sun Jun 1 15:13:34 CDT 2008

Around noon today we saw four Western Kingbirds on the wires along Hwy-10 in
Ramsey.  The first pair were at the NW corner of the intersection of Hwy-10
and CR56/Ramsey Blvd.  They were flying back and forth from the wire to a
tree there - we suspect there will be a nest there again.  Also there on the
river side of CR56 was a Vesper Sparrow on the fence and a male Horned Lark
by the bank driveway, great close looks at both.  My husband thinks he could
see an Osprey on the nest by the river, but too far for me to second that
motion.

Two more Kingbirds on the wires by Diamonds Bar, west of there between
Ramsey and CR83/Armstrong, apparently not bothered by the full lot for the
flea market.  Also a soaring Bald Eagle just past Armstrong.

Checked out Jarvis/165th Ave, but only an Eastern Bluebird by the Cargill
Farm.  This used to be a reliable spot for Kingbirds, along the RR tracks at
both ends of that triangle, including a nesting with four or five juvs in
2005(?), along 165th right by an informal dirt bike track.  We've not found
them the past two summers though, since Elk River  coverted that track to a
manicured field of some sort.  They could be gone, or maybe have moved away
from the road down the tracks by the farm.

Thanks, Steve, for the time-to-check-out-Hwy-10 post.

Erika Sitz
Ramsey, north Anoka County