[mou] Migratory Stragglers

R.D. Everhart everhart at black-hole.com
Sun Jun 1 20:36:04 CDT 2008

Hey everyone-
   Sorry for this late report but the last few days have been very
busy birdwise.
On Friday 5/30, I had my class out doing a "mini-big day" for the
last day of class and while I was at the Black Dog Fen area (just
east of Cliff Road and 35W) looking for Bell's Vireo (which I missed)
I saw a very late Harris' Sparrow in the hedgerow just behind the
playground. Talk about surprised! I also had a Black & White Warbler
at the Minnesota River Valley NWR headquarters on the trail that goes
down the hill to the left of the center. It was in the same area as a
beautiful Scarlet Tanager.

   On Saturday Mark Newstrom and I were banding at Ritter Farm Park
in Lakeville when we netted a Northern Waterthrush and a male
Mourning Warbler. We wouldn't have expected either of those. We also
found a Black-billed Cuckoo in the old orchard area where one was
located last summer. In spite of the fact that most of the migrants
have moved on, it might pay to take one more look in your favorite
spot for the odd straggler or two.

Roger Everhart
Apple Valley, MN
http://minnesotabirdnerd.blogspot.com