[mou] Cerulean Warblers, Cannon River Wilderness, Rice Co.

cjsteiny at comcast.net cjsteiny at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 09:55:40 CDT 2008

Ceruleans were seen and heard at Cannon River Wilderness
on Sunday afternoon, 6/1, 4-5PM.
Jullian Sellers directed me to this location - a Lifer for me.
We heard three Ceruleans and saw one as it was singing.
Kim Eckert's book has directions to this Rice County location,
but here are Jullian's:  Near Dundas - between Northfield and
Faribault - turn southeast off Highway 3 on County Road 20.
Go 2.7 miles to the small parking area on the west side of the road.
Walk west on the trail and down a flight of steps, into the ravine.
Continue along a boardwalk and across a wooden bridge.
One of the Ceruleans can be heard in this area.
Two other Ceruleans are further up the trail.  The Redstarts,
Ovenbirds, Wrens, and Indigo Buntings are very abundant and
vocal. It requires some concentration to hear the Ceruleans through
all of the other voices and viewing is difficult because of thick
foliage, but with patience and luck, you'll spot one.
We were hearing them consistently for the hour that we were there
but didn't finally see one until 45 minutes into our search.
Acadian Flycatcher and Yellow-billed Cuckoo were heard.
Beware:  moist, woody area with lots of mosquitoes.

Cheri Steinmueller
Little Canada, MN
(We drove the 100 mile round trip by motorcycle.  It was
a fun outing for my hubby and used < two gallons of gas.)