[mou] late migrant pelicans

Robert_Russell at fws.gov Robert_Russell at fws.gov
Mon Jun 2 13:25:40 CDT 2008

I was quite amazed to see an estimated 124+ White Pelicans migrating
northnortheastward at rather low altitude up I-35  just north of Moose
Lake, Carleton County Sunday evening.  In speculating on where these late
migrants might be headed if they followed their observed bearings, I found
that the colonies on Lake Nipigon, Ontario north of Lake Superior were up
to 638 pairs as of 2004 and a new colony had formed as far north as
Akimiski Straits, James Bay, Nunavut with 40 adults in 2006 (from Atlas of
the Breeding Birds of Ontario 2001-2005--a splendid 706 pp. book that
anyone wanting to know more about Minnesota migrants and where they go in
the summer should buy).  Still lots of birds left to go north (nighthawks,
shorebirds, cuckoos, dickcissels, warblers and more) Bob Russell, USFWS