[mou] Cedar Waxwings, Blue Bird nestlings

lkrueger at umn.edu lkrueger at umn.edu
Mon Jun 2 14:24:11 CDT 2008

We have over 50 Cedar Waxwings that are staying in our yard. They came
early this Spring and ate all the petals off our apple trees. Now, they are
still here! A good 20 of them fit into one birdbath at a time splashing
around!!! We do have a small vineyard, over 5,000 Currant bushes and 2
full-sized apple trees so, perhaps, they will stay all summer - ? They
usually just pass through here in the Fall so this is a new experience for
us.

Our baby Blue Birds are still in the nest (we observe them with a video cam
that is in the box). They are 15 days old today and, according to the
Stokes book, they will fledge anywhere from 16 days to 20 days old. We just
posted a new video that shows the Mother bird feeding them, removing a
fecal sac, and it shows two of the babies flapping their wings :) You can
view this video by going to our website home page and clicking on the
Movies icon. Thank you to all that have already been there and sent us
positive comments. We're glad so many people have enjoyed the videos we've
posted.

Linda and Kevin Krueger
wwww.FLIGHTofNATURE.com