[mou] Bell's vireo-Lake Nokomis, Mpls

Diana Doyle diana at managingthewaterway.com
Sun Jun 8 10:21:31 CDT 2008

This morning at 7:45 I heard and saw a Bell's vireo at Lake Nokomis,
Mpls.

The bird was singing constantly from the willows and cottonwoods at
the southwest side of the Lake Nokomis lagoon (west of Cedar Ave.
bridge). Taking the path around the lagoon, it was in the area behind
the very large cottonwood stump just along the path. It sang
constantly for nearly half an hour.

I remember someone posting a Bell's vireo in the same location last
year or the year before. Thanks to whoever posted that original
sighting.

I also saw a common loon on L. Nokomis, surprising for June, and a
green heron seems to hang out at the storm grate in the reeds just
north of the Bell's vireo area, on the left side of the path heading
north.

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis