[mou] Birding about metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 01:45:13 CDT 2008

Saturday:  140th Street marsh is no longer a marsh, a real downer, but birds
there included Willow Flycatcher, Olive-sided Flycatcher, and a Loggerhead
Shrike near the west gate.  Bank Swallows are nesting nearby on Connelly.  A
Kestrel was sitting with his head sticking out of a box along the road at
the 180th Street marsh.

Sunday:   Birding at Louisville Swamp is not recommended without long
sleeves and concentrated DEET.  The swarms were so thick that I actually had
one between the binoculars and my eye.  Lots of Indigo Buntings and Brown
Thrashers.  I found Blue-winged Warblers, Orchard Oriole, a Prothonatory
Warbler,  I did NOT find a Blue Grosbeak, Kentucky Warbler, or Hooded
Warbler (reported south of parking lot near ruined farmstead).  Near the
ruins I found a Common Yellowthroat singing a song that was not close to any
song I have ever heard from them.  Elsewhere in Scott County I found Black
Tern and a Western Meadowlark.

sweston2 at comcast.net