[mou] Probable Hooded Warbler

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Thu Jun 12 10:21:21 CDT 2008

This morning, while listening to multiple Mourning and Chestnut-sided
Warblers (among an overwhelming chorus of crooners) on Blue Hill Trail in
Sherburne Refuge, a probable Hooded Warbler broke in with 3-4 lines of song.

I say "probable" because the song was a bit variant from "wheety, wheety,
wheety-o" - took a bit of time to work through my consciousness (I only hear
this bird once a year or so) - shut down when I pished - and never made a
physical appearance.

The song did come from the area where a single male Hooded has hung out two
of the last four years - left side of the trail, 100 feet or so past the
first left turn, about 10 minutes in as the birder walks.

Sometimes I hate "probables"....

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties