[mou] Laughing Gull in Olmsted County

Kim R Eckert eckertkr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 11:09:35 CDT 2008

Since no one else has commented on the ID of this possible Laughing
Gull as of Sunday morning, here are some thoughts which I hope are of
some help. First of all, this is under-appreciated ID problem not
fully covered in the standard field guides, since first-summer (i.e.,
one-year-old) Franklin's Gulls can closely resemble adult and near-
adult plumaged Laughing Gulls. This is because the upper wing surface
of these Franklin's Gulls can lack the white bar separating the black
outer primaries from the dark gray on the rest of the upper wing
surface. This upper wing pattern in flight, therefore, can look like
the pattern of an adult Laughing Gull.

For these problematic birds, I think the best way to separate them is
to look at the UNDER side of the wing in flight. Here, the black on
the Franklin's is limited mostly to the distal half of the outer
primaries; on an adult and near-adult Laughing the black is more
extensive, including the full length of the outer primaries and
usually extending partly into the primary coverts and the inner
primaries. Was the under wing pattern visible to any of the observers?

Looking only at Paul's two photos, I'm reluctant to comment
confidentally on its ID, since they do not show either the upper or
under surface of the spread wing. But the photos do show an incomplete
hood (if a Franklin's, this is consistent with it being first-summer),
thick eye-crescents (suggesting a Franklin's), and the hard-to-see
bill seems to be thin and short (again suggesting Franklin's). If
there were direct comparison with other gulls, perhaps the ID would
become clearer, since the Laughing Gull is larger overall with more of
a longer- and pointed-winged profile.

Hopefully, other observers took field notes of this Rochester gull
(and the one reported in Wabasha County a few days ago) so the ID
becomes clearer. And, if either gull turns out to be a Franklin's, the
observers should certainly not feel badly, since many other birders
have long struggled with this problem. Several years ago in Minnesota,
there had been several reports of Laughing Gulls, some by experienced
observers (myself included!), some of which the documentations were
later reexamined to show they were more likely Frankin's Gulls.

Again, this ID problem has never been fully covered in any of the
field guides, and the only reference I know of which discusses it is
Kenn Kaufman's 1990 book A Field Guide to Advanced Birding: see pages
112-113.

Kim Eckert