[mou] Sax Zim Bog Sunday

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 11:50:42 CDT 2008

Just got back from guiding a birder from Massachuttes.
Highlights:
-Boreal Chickadees along the Arkola Rd
-Red Crossbill a single bird on McDavitt Rd.
-Golden-winged Warbler on McDavitt Rd.  just as you leave the bog habitat going north on McDavitt Rd there is a opening of mix alders and dead aspen trees. A male was singing on the east side of McDavitt Rd.  This is roughly 3.0 to 3.5 miles north of the Sax Rd.
-Conn. Warbler
Good spots:  2.7 miles north of Sax Rd on McDavitt Rd. east side of McDavitt.
                   2.8 miles south of the Zim Rd on Admiral Rd on east side of Admiral Rd.
                    .3 miles west of Owl Avenue on Arkola Rd on north side of Arkola Rd.
These are good spots to hear them close to the road and view them singing.
-Yellow-bellied Flycatchers are very abundant in the spruce/tamarack bogs
**No Great Gray Owls were found yesterday or today by me and other birders I met in the bog the last two days.  I did though hear of a report of a Great Gray Owl on Co. Rd 29 north of Correction Line Rd before Co. Rd 29 goes over Whiteface River last week.
Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
Blog: http://colderbythelakebirding.blogspot.com/