[mou] Fwd: Franklin/laughing gull

marshall howe howe.mcmillen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 12:15:35 CDT 2008

"First" summer is technically the second summer, i.e., one year or so after
hatching or, in banding terminology, SY.  I'm not sure where this
terminology comes from, but Sibley uses it in his guide and shows the
sequence of gull plumages from juvenile on.  In traditional
(Humphrey-Parkes) molt terminology, this plumage is the first "alternate"
plumage, as opposed to the first "basic" plumage, which is synonymous with
first fall or first winter plumage (i.e., the first plumage following
juvenile plumage).
Clear enough?!

Marshall Howe