[mou] Purple Martins galore

Forest & Kirsten Strnad carowren at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 17:47:50 CDT 2008

Greetings:

 I have known for years about the Purple Martin houses in Warsaw at Lane Johnson's, whose house is just west of Farwell Avenue in City of Warsaw.

But today, driving highway 12, west of Faribault I found another family who love Purple Martins. There are at least 200 gourds or  houses for Purple Maertin.  I guess I have been looking south when their house is on the north side of Highway 12.

David and Diane Velzke live  10 miles west of I-35.  To get there from Faribault  get off I-35 onto Highway 21 coming from either south or north.  From north go south to 7th Street and from south go north to 7th Street. Follow this to Highway 38, and go west to Highway 97.  Go south to Highway 12.  Velzke's driveway is marked by their name plate on south side of Highway 12 and the numbers 11565 are on a post there too

Highway 60 is under construction west of Faribault and that is why it is so difficult to get to Highway 12.

There are 6, or so, group of gourd houses and at least three wooden houses..  David Velzke said Purple Martins are a tradition with his family. His father and his son have Purple Martin Houses.  The son live in Waseca  David was very friendly and was glad we stopped to see his houses. He said he cleans the gourds with a wire coat hanger and it takes a lot of time.
David said about 8:00 pm is when the martins return from feeding at various lakes in  the area on dragon flies.

He told us to stop by again.

Forest and Kirsten Strnad
Faribault, MN.