[mou] Black-backed Woodpecker Nest--Carlton County

sparky stensaas sparkystensaas at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 23:00:53 CDT 2008

Friday June 20th
Fond du Lac S.F.
Carlton County

While doing my Breeding Bird Survey Route in Carlton County I found a Black-backed Woodpecker nest with very active young. Both the male and female were feeding the vocal young.

The nest is 1.25 miles west of Mission Road (CR25) on the Ditchbank Road. It is at eye level in a live Tamarack on the south side just 20 feet off the road. Just listen for the young. (This is less than a half mile from a BBWO nest I found 8 years ago).

The young will probably fledge in the next few days.

Also White-winged Crossbills at several locations in the Fond du Lac S.F.Sparky Stensaas 2515 Garthus Road Wrenshall, MN 55797 218.341.3350 cell sparkystensaas at hotmail.comwww.stoneridgepress.comwww.kollathstensaas.comwww.sparkyphotos.com