[mou] I Propose a (Lighthearted) County Birding Contest

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Thu Jun 26 09:24:46 CDT 2008

Last night as I was looking over my Aitkin County list, noted that I had
seen all nine normally occuring woodpeckers in that county.  (Frankly, this
says more about the county than my skills - and Kim Risen is responsible for
the Three-toed).

This morning, as the mosquitoes and deerflies were hurrying me on my way
along Mahnomen Trail (Sherburne NWR, best birds Lark Sparrow and Ruffed
Grouse), started wondering about other birders' experiences with county
birding/listing - bet some of you have some unique aberrations or
interesting stories to share (eg, 34 warbler species in Houston County, or
five loons in St. Louis County).

I propose a light-hearted contest with three prize categories:

1) Wow!  That's incredible!  Our admiration for you knows no bounds!

2) Excellent!  Lot of work there, how long did that take?

3) Pretty good, pretty good.  Thanks for sharing.

I don't have any real prizes to give out, unless it's a spot on the MOU
Mille Lacs Fall Trip.

Bob Janssen, Kim Eckert and Peder Svingen and a few others should probably
be "grandfathered" (not an age statement) in with 1's - although we'd still
like to hear your stories.

Will be happy to compile them (with permission).

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties