[mou] Miesville Ravine & more

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 00:53:58 CDT 2008

On Sunday (6/22) I led a MRVAC field trip to Miesville Ravine with eight
participants.   The best birds included a couple of Acadian Flycatchers and
a surprising Brewster's Warbler (Blue-winged x Golden-winged).  Also heard
were Wood Thrushes, Ovenbirds, and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  Redstarts were
everywhere and we also found a couple of Scarlet Tanagers.  Eastern Wood
Pewees and baltimore Orioles were unexpectedly uncommon.   Most of the
activity was early in the morning.  After finishing at Miesville, some of us
continued on to a couple of other sites further downstream.  We found lots
of mosquitos, but few birds of interest.  I was the only one who caught a
glimpse of a Ruffed Grouse dust bathing in the trail.

Yesterday (6/26)  I spied a Hooded Merganser hen sitting on a log with a
line of eleven one to three day old chicks, all sleeping in a row.  They
probably had just come down from one of my boxes.  the evenings continue to
be quite noisy with Copes Gray Treefrogs.  This year the wild strawberrys
are
especially sweet, plump, and plentiful.

sweston2 at comcast.net