[mou] rba Carver County-Henslow's Sparrow, Cerulean Warbler

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 28 10:58:19 CDT 2008

There was a Henslow's Sparrow this morning at around 7:30 at Carver Park Reserve.   He was in pretty much the same location as early May 2007.  To get to his location follow the main trail west of Lowry Nature Center(south of Crosby Lake).   Continue until you get beyond Crosby Lake and out into a prairie area(closer to the hwy).  He was calling from the top of a tall grass on the right side of the trail(right beside the trail).   I will be uploading a picture to http://www.flickr.com/photos/27446731@N02/ shortly.

I saw a singing Cerulean Warbler along the trail that juts north from Crosby Lake(Maple trail)  on the southwest side of Stone Lake.   There is a short boardwalk that crosses a marshy inlet, and the Cerulean was on the east side of the boardwalk.   Heading east from the boardwalk, the trail takes a sharp turn to the right.  Follow it until you get closer to another marshy inlet that is on your left.   The Cerulean was in the trees on the right side of the trail.   There is a deer trail that you can follow into the area to try and get a better look.  I heard a 2nd Cerulean on the west side, but did not see him.   This is the same general area that I saw a male/female pair early last June.  I wonder if they are breeding there.

Also at the park I saw 2 Wood Thrushes, heard a 3rd, and saw a Veery.  Besides that, there were the regulars;  Song, Field, Clay-colored(nest building), Swamp Sparrows, Yellow, Blue-winged Warbler, Redstart, Yellowthroat(nest building), Eastern Kingbird, and Sedge Wren.

John Cyrus