[mou] stymied in Maple Grove

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Sat Jun 28 22:12:31 CDT 2008

Ner my townhouse is a mowed grass field with tall native grasses
growing along one side with a marshy area and cattails on the other
side of the native grass strip.  There are woods on either end with
some taller shrubs in the mix zone between the native grasses and the
cattails.  The is a yellow breasted and possibly yellow throated bird
with a deep brown back and wings - no clear eye ring.  I have only
been able to get glimpses of the bird as it flits along the grass
stems and then disappears into the lower portion of the native grass.
I never see it in the cattails.  The yellow on this bird is a nice
deep yellow.  The size is the same as a Song Sparrow which was
nearby.  I stood for over an hour getting these little glimpses then
it would dart across the tops of the grasses to the edge of the woods
and flit into sight and out.  No calls.

I am looking for possible IDs so I can begin looking for
distinguishing characteristics in the brief seconds I have to look at
it.  The brown back and wings are nearly chocolate compared to the
delightful deep yellow.  It isn't a Chat for there are no eye markings
like that.  I am bamboozled and would like to have some direction to
begin my sorting.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN