[mou] location, sorry on WilliamOBrian chat

Milton Blomberg mjbflwrmt at msn.com
Mon Jun 30 09:29:34 CDT 2008

  Sorry, I was responding off of Lynda White posting (I had sent it to MOU/MN as a CC assuming it would show the thread).
I was at WilliamO'Brian State Park in northern Washington County, just S of the hamlet of Coppas along Hwy 95.
I spent all that time slowly sauntering what I believe is called the Wetland Trail.  It is along the N side of the park,
turn R just past the entrance gate, then R again up to the Volleyball field area, the trail runs E-W for a strong quarter
mile along a nicely restored prairie (lots of plants developing in there for the summer-fall bloom), then between
the "open"  marsh (with willow edges) sort of like a causeway up until it turns SW along the RR track. I should have
mentioned that I nearly stepped on a Virginia Rail.  The chat wasn't vocalizing, but I had one possibility of seeing
it, 2-300 yards out in the short willow thickets (looking south), a bird with bright yellow, longer tail...it appeared different than the female
C. Yellowthroats and female Goldfinches....I just couldn't get in on the head and then it dropped down and
wouldn't reappear.  The other people who reported this discovered the Chat in the area where the small elm
tree overhangs the road.  mjb