[mou] FW: Black-billed Cuckoo, Miesville Ravine, Goodhue side

Laura Coble shearwater45 at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 30 14:43:59 CDT 2008

  _____

From: Laura Coble [mailto:shearwater45 at frontiernet.net]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 2:38 PM
To: 'mnbird at lists.mnbird.net'
Subject: Black-billed Cuckoo, Miesville Ravine, Goodhue side

I have decided to do more birding in the county where I live, Goodhue, and
would eventually like to bird all areas in the county. This morning I walked
the trails for several hours at Miesville Ravine, Goodhue side, which is
found northeast of Cannon Falls, across from the Dakota County Miesville
park.

At about 9:30 am, along the Miesville trail closest to the Cannon River, I
had a long, close look at an adult perched Black-billed Cuckoo. The red eye
ring was clearly visible; I could see the small white and dark spots on the
undertail; and the black bill was thin. I had heard a Black-billed Cuckoo
call earlier, and this bird made a sound I hadn't heard before. Sibley
describes it as "kru-dru", I found out, after checking his complete bird
guide (not the Eastern). I saw another cuckoo (though it may have been the
same bird), on my way back to the parking lot on a parallel trail. There are
two birds, because a different cuckoo was giving its usual call as I was
looking at the second one. Please e-mail me if you want park and/or trail
directions.

I also birded the Goodhue county side of Cty 17/280th St. E., and the
cemetery near the Cannon River Lutheran Church. I found 38 species total,
including a Scarlet Tanager, many Indigo Buntings, Ovenbird, Pileated
Woodpecker, Cooper's Hawk, Yellow-throated Vireo, Eastern Towhee, Vesper
Sparrow, and a possible Olive-sided Flycatcher. I heard it, but couldn't
find it. It was a beautiful, cool morning in the ravine at 8:30 am, and
there weren't many mosquitoes, though insect repellent is essential now!

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls, MN