[mou] northern birding trip

james otto jlotto1 at msn.com
Sun Mar 2 02:30:39 CST 2008

On Saturday, Doug Kieser, Scott Meyer and myself went to the northland and had a great day of birding. First, we stopped at Cloquet, where we saw Red Crossbills , Common Redpolls and a flock of a couple hundred of  Bohemian Waxwings  close to the Ice arena in town. Then we spent the remainder of the day at  Sax-Zim. At the feeders on Blue Spruce road, Evening Grosbeaks Pine Grosbeaks Common Redpolls and 2 Hoary Redpolls were present. At the carcass, on Admiral Road, we saw one Boreal Chickadee. Magpies were seen at Cranberry lane and one male Ruffed Grouse was seen displaying for his mate on the roadside as we were entering Cotton.

                      Jim Otto