[mou] Sax Zim Dogs

Sharon Stiteler birdchick at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 19:00:18 CST 2008

Amber Burnette and I went up for the day to Sax Zim Bog and had an
unnerving dog encounter.  We went up Blue Spruce Rd and followed it
past the Morse feeders to where it turns into Poplar and then Aspen
and then Birch and goes back out onto 133.  When we got to the end of
Aspen we could see about six large dogs shoulder to shoulder in the
road.  I've seen a couple of dogs on this road before but not this
many and they didn't move.  I figured if we went slowly through, the
dogs would part and we could pass.  Oh no.  They charged and
surrounded the car.  A few jumped up nipping at the windows and the
others stayed in front of the car.  We tried honking and that didn't
work.  I didn't know how we could get forward without hitting one of
the dogs.

Eventually, a woman came out and tried to call them in, but it did no
good.  She came over to the car and it explained that the dogs get
dumped here and at one point had 50 some odd huskies dumped there.
As she was talking to us, the dogs were jumping and bouncing off my
car--to the top of the window and we could see more dogs coming out
of the woods.  I told her that I didn't know how to get through
without hitting one and she said if I went fast, they would part
ways, they just want to chase the car and if I hit one, it was no big
deal.  No big deal to her, but a big deal to me.

We pulled ahead and the pack followed us.  Some kept running and
stopping in front of the car and others continued to jump up to the
side--one jumped up, I heard a bump and then a yelp.  They followed
us around the corner for about a quarter of mile running in front of
the car as soon as we would try to speed up.  We eventually made it
through, but it was incredibly unnerving, the dogs seem to sense that
you don't want to hit them and just run in front of you.

You might want to avoid the area of Aspen and Birch.

Sharon Stiteler
www.birdchick.com
Minneapolis, MN