[mou] Sax Zim Dogs

Jason Caddy j.caddy at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 2 21:48:17 CST 2008

This story is all too familiar to me.  The exact same scenerio happened to me about 2 winters ago.  The only difference is that the woman
was nowhere near as friendly as this description.  There were around 25 dogs surrounding my car and the woman came out with a pole
with a hook on the end and started threatening to hit the dogs with it.  The dogs were biting my bumper and jumping up on the windows,
it was frightening.  I don't even know how I got out of there without hitting one of the crazy dogs.  The woman was basically yelling at
me to get lost as the dogs clawed and bit my car.  I drove about 2 miles down the road and then pulled over to calm down.  As I was
standing beside my car I noticed a few of the dogs running towards me and I had to jump back in the car.  They don't give up very
easily.  This may sound like a verse out of a Steven King novel but it is very real and should be avoided at all costs.
Good birding to all,

Jason Caddy

From: birdchick at gmail.comDate: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 19:00:18 -0600To: mnbird at lists.mnbird.netCC: mou-net at moumn.orgSubject: [mou] Sax Zim Dogs
Amber Burnette and I went up for the day to Sax Zim Bog and had an unnerving dog encounter.  We went up Blue Spruce Rd and followed it past the Morse feeders to where it turns into Poplar and then Aspen and then Birch and goes back out onto 133.  When we got to the end of Aspen we could see about six large dogs shoulder to shoulder in the road.  I've seen a couple of dogs on this road before but not this many and they didn't move.  I figured if we went slowly through, the dogs would part and we could pass.  Oh no.  They charged and surrounded the car.  A few jumped up nipping at the windows and the others stayed in front of the car.  We tried honking and that didn't work.  I didn't know how we could get forward without hitting one of the dogs.

Eventually, a woman came out and tried to call them in, but it did no good.  She came over to the car and it explained that the dogs get dumped here and at one point had 50 some odd huskies dumped there.  As she was talking to us, the dogs were jumping and bouncing off my car--to the top of the window and we could see more dogs coming out of the woods.  I told her that I didn't know how to get through without hitting one and she said if I went fast, they would part ways, they just want to chase the car and if I hit one, it was no big deal.  No big deal to her, but a big deal to me.

We pulled ahead and the pack followed us.  Some kept running and stopping in front of the car and others continued to jump up to the side--one jumped up, I heard a bump and then a yelp.  They followed us around the corner for about a quarter of mile running in front of the car as soon as we would try to speed up.  We eventually made it through, but it was incredibly unnerving, the dogs seem to sense that you don't want to hit them and just run in front of you.

You might want to avoid the area of Aspen and Birch.

Sharon Stiteler
www.birdchick.com
Minneapolis, MN