[mou] Dogs in Sax Zim Bog

Holly Peirson hpbirdscouter at msn.com
Mon Mar 3 14:08:52 CST 2008

Friends:

It's been some time since I've been birding in that area, but I remember a
house and farm on the left side as you go north on Pine Rd., near the L
shaped part of the road so you had to slow way down. There was a house that
had not only a large dog or two but also the owner would sometimes yell out
for us to keep on going, as we drove past.. The dogs were pretty darned big
if I remember correctly. Once when we were doing a Big Day and driving this
loop quite early in the AM there were even some horses that were loose and
running up and down the road right along with the large dogs. That was kind
of a scary thing to see coming right at the car at about 5:00 AM in the
mist.

So are the people who live on that road on board with birders coming by
frequently now? Because it always seemed to me that they may have had the
dogs to deter people from spending too much time going very slowly along the
road.

That loop always has some nice birds along it.

Holly Peirson

Columbus, Anoka Co.